Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Lackawanna Bar Association Golf Outing

It's official. Unless you're doing an oil application apprenticeship with Hawaiian Tropics, my summer job is better than yours. Yesterday (Monday) morning I was at my desk just getting into my daily morning ritual of pounding 5-10 cups of coffee when I was called up to a managing partner's office. "Are you a golfer, John?" I have played golf less than ten times in my entire life. Miraculously, each time I played I was worse than the time before. "Sure." Oh God. I had responded confidently.

At noon we left for the Lackawanna Bar Association's annual golf outing at the Glen Oak Country Club in Clark Summit. Thank God it was captain and crew. Attorney O'Malley's son in law was an ace. The Attorney and his daughter, the other 2 in our foursome were ... unremarkable, but having fun. I was horrific. I think Todd had thought I was actually a ringer and just being modest until I sliced my first drive it was almost going backwards. I really sealed the deal by missing the ball on my first swing on the fairway.

Amazingly, though, my sucking in no way put a damper on the day. I actually had a great time. Around the 8th hole I was offered a cigar. "Stogies? Why not?" After the round there was a reception and a dinner. All in all a hard and satisfying days work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home