Saturday, July 09, 2005

Vermont vs. New Jersey

It's Saturday morning and I'm in Stowe, Vermont. We came up here for a balloon festival, but were rained out this morning, and now I'm at a library book sale.

Here's a message I received from my BC roommate, Nick Boniakowski, who I just visited at his beach house in Montoloking, NJ over the 4th of July weekend.

Nicholas Boniakowski said...
This blog needs some spice. Don't you have any personal opinions you can rant about? Why don't you talk about what you did July 4th Weekend and explain why New Jersey is the best state in America.


Nick makes a valid point: this blog does need some substantive content, and if I'm going to blog about anything it may as well have something to do with New Jersey. As a matter of fact, about five minutes ago as I was browsing through the array of used books on sale in this Vermont library I came across two books that I think help to illustrate New Jersey's place in the Union.

The first book I noticed was called "Coming of Age in New Jersey" by Michael Moffatt. I immediately showed the book to my brother and suggested we buy it for Nick. The dust jacket revealed the story of an author who did "extensive research" by living amongst the students at "a typical state university" (Rutgers) and detailing their sexual habits.

The other book is called "Out! The Vermont Secession Book" by Frank Bryan and Bill Mares. The back of the book provocatively asks "what's going to happen when Vermont leaves the Union in 1991?" and thoroughly details fact that Vermont never actually joined the Union, and why it makes sense that they succeed immediately. (In 1987.)

I think the stark contrast between the two states is nicely illustrated by the books. The New Jersey book is a trite exposition about a college experience that could happen in anywhere in America, and indeed strives to typify the American college experience. The fact that the book takes place in New Jersey, in fact, seems barely relevant, which is certainly forwarded by the fact that there is very little relevant about New Jersey in the first place. This might have something to do with the phenomenon of New Jersey high school graduates escaping to higher education in other states.

The Vermont book, on the other hand, is a celebration of the unique nature of a place so individualistic that there is actually a notable movement to leave the Union. Jersey people flood out of there state into more interesting places. Vermonters strive to insulate. (Perhaps trying stem the influx of Jersey-ites?)

I won't say that New Jersey is the worst state in America. That would give the state some sort of distinction. Being "the worst" state would mean that NJ was in some way unique, and it is certainly not my intention to say any such thing here. Rather, the defining characteristic of New Jersey is a dismal mediocrity.

Anyway, Stowe is great. Be back in Scranton on Monday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, John. Everyone: Look out for my upcoming BLOG titled: "A few reasons why John Powell should be fired from his internship: The secrets every boss should know."

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home